Friday, October 9, 2015

I suppose

That last post entitled simply, "2012," refreshed my memory of how much I loved my job.  It held everything I wanted, travel, responsibility, multitasking, respect, financial consideration, and interaction with all levels of the workforce.  Unfortunately, the boss did not have the foresight to transition my position from compliance to salesforce, and ended the job.  The turnover rate there was phenomenal, and this should have been expected; but I was in denial.  I no longer have my dream job.

It's been almost 3 years since I last posted on this blog, and almost a year since I became suddenly and without warning unemployed.  The boss had called my work cell to see if I would join him for lunch.  Wrapping up a compilation of three binders that morning, and handing them off for mailing, I joined the boss for lunch.  The other two workers made lame excuses and left, so it was just the boss and I heading to Subway.  After about 5 minutes of small talk, I asked, "So, what's on your mind?"  His reply hit like Roadrunner's boulder drop on Wiley Coyote.  "Employment changes for the upcoming year that involve you."  And that, friends, is how I was "let go."  He apparently had given this some thought, because he had a 5-page no-compete agreement ready for my signature.  It looked like he and his wife (Pres & VP) were afraid I would rally the crew and start a business to steal them away.  He offered 2 months of severance pay.  He caused two months of depression.

After lunch, I drove home and applied for 7 different jobs, and continued applying daily.  Since I do not have a college degree, many of the rejection emails came unusually quick.  A larger percentage, though, provided no response whatsoever.  This only fueled the insignificance I was feeling.

And then, little lights began to illumine.  A phone call, a message on LinkedIn and Facebook, an email here and there.  Almost every customer had spent some effort locating personal contact information to reach me.  They all thanked me for helping them through the EPA emissions rule, and most mentioned what they thought of my boss for letting me go.  Each one played a significant role in my return to "normal." 

I have not landed other employment as of yet.  The combination of my lack of college degree and geographical location challenge the latest methods that HR utilize for recruiting.  Giving up is not an option.  God has plans for me, and I trust he will reveal them.  He knows how impatient I am, and He knows the right fit for me and my potential employer.  I have completed six more applications this week.  Who knows?  Maybe one of them will recognize the value I can bring to their business.

What I have learned from all this is simply that my significance does not come from what I do; rather who I am.  I am a child of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment